Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day 2009

I can't remember a Memorial Day that I haven't enjoyed. When I was little, we would pick the Lilacs and Iris' and place them on the graves of my grandparents and great-grandparents. At the cemetery, whenever we saw the field of flags, my parents would tell us of the importance of remembering and honoring the great members of the military who fought for our freedom, those who have died and those still living. My dad was one of those courageous men. When he died when I was nine, every Memorial Day after Steph and I would go to the cemetery and find his flag. While we were in high school, we played Taps for the veterans at funerals and military functions, including Memorial Day. One year, we were lucky to see and participate in the dedication of the Veteran's Memorial at Spanish Fork Cemetery where they had walls with the soldiers names. And yes, we found our dad's. One year, while I was in college, I was photographed and put on the front page of the newspaper. That was a great picture of me playing Taps in the middle of the flags of the veterans.
I will forever be grateful for the sacrifices of the men and women that I will never meet who gave their lives so that I could be here, safe with my children. I've always had a respect and admiration for the military members and their families, but now that I have children, that respect has multiplied. I am proud to be the daughter of an Army-Air staff Sargent and the sister-in-law of an Air Force Lt. Col. I am proud to have friends that serve our county. Your sacrifices are great. I am truly thankful.

Now that I'm crying (heavens, I'm such a baby!), I'll move on to our lighter Memorial Day activities. We spent the day just enjoying each other's company. We had a little BBQ for lunch, followed by a day in the kiddie pool. Brennan and Nolan couldn't get enough of the water (though it was FREEZING), while Ian watched them so intently. Such a simple way to celebrate such a great holiday!

1 comment:

Stephanie Ellinger said...

Nathan has that same onesie too! I have that picture of you standing in the field playing taps at my desk. Its awesome. Good times huh?